Thursday, May 19, 2011

If Any Library Owns It, It Should Be Our Library

Admittedly I'm a library geek (or I wouldn't have this job) and I'm relatively new at this library, but I am thrilled by and proud of some of the weird things in our collection. Some recent discoveries:

Rhythm is the Cure: Southern Italian Tambourine: Dedicated to the Healing Powers of the Tarantella Rhythm by Alessandra Belloni (MT725.T3 B45 R49 2007). I am amazed by the specificity and obscurity of the subject matter. But if any library is going to own this, it should be Berklee's library. We aren't the only library that owns it, but we may be the only one within a 500-mile radius.

I took delight in stumbling upon Renegade: The Lives and Tales of Mark E. Smith (ML420 .S627 A3 2008). I didn't know that he had penned an autobiography, let alone that the cantankerous and obtuse Smith was capable of writing one. Smith's long-running band the Fall is decidedly an acquired taste, but they have rightfully earned their cult following.

My final recent fun find was Punk Rock Aerobics: 75 Killer Moves, 50 Punk Classics, and 25 Reasons to Get Off Your Ass and Exercise by Boston locals Maura Jasper and Hilken Mancini (RA781.15 .J37 2004). It contains moves inspired by the likes of Iggy Pop and the Undertones demonstrated by people in torn fishnets and ripped t-shirts, and it is interspersed with plenty of punk rock history and trivia.

What weird things have you found in our collection? What weird things do you think we should have but don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment