Lots of people are looking back to the John F. Kennedy assassination on its 50th anniversary, but one measure of its impact is in music. Here's a list of band names and songs that drew their inspiration from that tragic event. Links are to our catalog for materials we have available:
- "Sympathy for the Devil," the Rolling Stone, Beggars Banquet (CD 4790)
- "Abraham, Martin and John," Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Anthology (CD 10514- 10515 Disc 2)
- "Family Snapshot," Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel (CD 213)
- "We Didn't Start the Fire," Billy Joel, Storm Front (CD 9812), includes "JFK blown away"
- "He Was a Friend of Mine," the Byrds, The Byrds (CD 5707-5710 Disc 1)
- "Jack Ruby," Camper Van Beethoven
- "(Glad I'm) Not a Kennedy," Shona Laing
- "Life in a Northern Town," the Dream Academy, Like, Omigod! The 80$ Pop Culture Box (Totally) (CD 21291-21297 Disc 6) includes "In winter 1963/it felt like the world would freeze/with John F. Kennedy"
- "Reverence" by Jesus & Mary Chain, includes "I want to die just like JFK"
- "I Wanna Be Jack Kennedy," Psyclone Rangers